Top Republicans are seeking to downplay the heavy toll of the coronavirus, in part by pointing to a conspiracy theory that the number of deaths is much lower.
President TrumpDonald John TrumpCohen claims in new book that Trump is ‘guilty of the same crimes’ as him ‘Princess Bride’ cast to reunite for Wisconsin Democrats fundraiser Bernie Sanders warns that Trump may not concede the election MORE, along with Sen. Joni ErnstJoni Kay ErnstThe Hill’s 12:30 Report: First Kennedy to lose a Massachusetts election Ernst says she’s ‘skeptical’ about coronavirus death count Trump warnings on lawlessness divide GOP candidates MORE (R-Iowa) and Rep. Roger MarshallRoger W. MarshallBank lobbying group launches ad backing Collins reelection bid Chamber to launch ads defending embattled GOP senators McConnell warns control of Senate ‘could go either way’ in November MORE (R-Kan.), who are both in competitive Senate races, have all pointed in recent days to the widely debunked theory that COVID-19 deaths in the United States total just 10,000 instead of the more than 180,000 recorded by health officials.
The speculative remarks come at a time when about 1,000 people a day are dying from the virus, providing a grim backdrop to the final sprint to Election Day. Trump, meanwhile, has been trying to project an optimistic message, frequently pointing to rapid progress toward a vaccine and saying he thinks the virus is “going away.”
The Trump administration has also increasingly emphasized protecting vulnerable populations like the elderly, rather than putting a focus on a broader strategy of trying to suppress the disease overall.
The discredited theory in question points to a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) webpage stating the coronavirus was listed as the sole cause for only 6 percent of deaths from the virus. However, that does not mean the other 94 percent of people did not die from coronavirus. Instead, it means that either another factor directly caused by coronavirus was also listed, like respiratory failure, or that there was an underlying condition like obesity or diabetes that is not necessarily fatal on its own but that heightens the risks from coronavirus.
The 6 percent figure has been seized on, however, to minimize the death toll. Last weekend, Trump retweeted a post from the user Mel Q, who is also a believer in the QAnon conspiracy theory, saying only about 9,000 people had “actually” died from coronavirus. Twitter later removed the tweet for violating its rules.
Ernst likewise said Monday that she is “so skeptical” of case and death counts from coronavirus, later adding, according to the Waterloo-Cedar Falls Courier: “They’re thinking there may be 10,000 or less deaths that were actually singularly COVID-19…I’m just really curious. It would be interesting to know that.”
Marshall, who is a doctor, pointed to the theory based on the 6 percent statistic in a Facebook post Sunday.
“This week the CDC quietly updated its COVID-19 data to reflect the number of deaths from COVID-19 only,” he wrote, adding it was “only 6%,” according to a screenshot posted by KSNT.
Facebook removed the post, with a spokesperson…
Read More News: GOP uses debunked theory to downplay COVID-19 death toll